UpI made one last ditch effort to at least winterize the fort and came up more than a bit short. It got up to 38 degrees one day last weekend and I was bound and determined to paint the roof with the membrane coat. There were a few unanticipated obstacles…
The first being: I couldn’t find our metal paint roller or tray. I did have an actual roller thing you put on it, but was worried about my success with only that. Now I don’t know how other people’s marriages work, but for me its easy to figure out who is responsible for the problem without any supporting facts. So after determining who was to blame, I surprisingly was not any closer to a solution. I had already put Gideon down for nap and was on a time crunch so I went to the garage to sort out a solution. This my friends was the solution:
That’s right. I used a sled as a paint tray (don’t worry it’s a terrible sled- it doesn’t really sled which makes it pretty lame- assuming you want to sled- which we typically do when we grab a sled). I also found a tiny little roller that actually worked with a big roll jammed on there. I also used a scrap piece of wood as a stirring stick. The whole set up worked for the most part.
The other thing I hadn’t really thought through was how I was going to paint what was out of my reach. I did grab our ladder, but on the hill it felt like a death trap. And that is why we have about 6 feet painted of the roof and nothing more. And guess what? We are leaving it until spring.
I have a bit of mixed feelings about being done with the fort for now. On the one hand we are so sick of it and are thrilled to do nothing with it. Sitting on a project is one of our strengths, one of the few things we consistently deliver on. On the other hand we are almost to the part where we get to do all the things to make it pretty and that is my most favorite part of all. It is also the only part of the project that I actually have any skills for. But alas.
I’ll at least show you how it looks for now, starting with the exterior:
There is a plexi window in there, it just isn’t framed out at all.
Here is Brett securing the tarp that will serve as the water-resistant (not to be confused with water proof) roof. Luckily, we are the kind of folks that know our way around good uses for a tarp. Every summer we do a huge slip and slide down our front hill with tarps. It’s about as classy as it sounds. We use screwdrivers to secure it and keep adding tarps til you can almost slide into the street. The point being this tarp has more than a few holes from rocks or sticks or what not as people cruise down the slip and slide. We are hoping it will do the trick until we can fix it up come spring.
The tarp is covering part of it, but you can see we at least finished up the lookout windows.
Here’s the view from the inside looking out:
This is the window and the door in the front of the fort looking towards the house.
These pictures are of the lookout window facing the street. Not to brag, but there is a bit of a lake view from this window. We are within walking distance to one of the few lakes in the cities that is bordered by a freeway on one side and a trailer park on the other.
Here is a bit of the interior, though it is a bit challenging to take pictures in tight spaces.
The left side is the front of the fort and the right side being the slope for the climbing wall. Now imagine yourself turning counterclockwise for a tour.
You’ll notice the grown up door has a lot of daylight peeking through. Just another thing to sort out come spring.
And finishing out our counterclockwise tour is Gideon showing off the back window where the boys love to watch the neighbor’s chickens and last is Levi by the sloped wall.
Well folks that is the fort as it is now. The blog is moving inside for the next couple (who am I kidding- many) months. I’ll show you around some of our projects inside the house we have been working on. Not to tease, but one of the projects pretty heavily involves Harry Potter. So have no fear the magic continues…