How to cut a cabinet and put it back together without it looking terrible.

Here’s to hoping you never need to know how to do this. But in the off chance you find yourself in a similar situation, of a too long cabinet, let me walk you through how to skinny it up!

Let me start this with, make sure the thing you are hoping to size down is free. Under no circumstances would I take a saw to something that cost any amount of money, no matter how small. You want to have your worst case scenario be that the thing you were hoping to keep is now conveniently into two much more manageable pieces to bring to the dump…

So when I last left you…a month ago… I had no idea how we were actually going to shorten the length of the cabinet. My folks came over one evening and wanted to see all the progress on the laundry room. I’m not really sure a whole lot of progress had really taken place, but they oohed and ahhed at everything. My dad is really quite a jolly fellow. (He gets a ‘kick out of’ life. When we go to plays and the production is over he is so excited that, with huge grin on his face, he’ll clap overhead, loudly, with no sense of rhythm, because rhythm simply must take a backseat to his joy and delight.) He gets all excited as I show him how the cracks no longer have paint between them. If you are ever doing any renovation invite him over, he loves to see projects and you are left thinking, boy it really could be spectacular.

So anyways, as I am showing him the awkwardly long cabinet and how we want it shorter, he suggests cutting out the middle. After thinking about it for zero seconds I tell him that’s a terrible idea. Brett overhears and thinks it’s a killer idea and they start talking through how much sense it makes to leave the finished ends intact. So like any good kid after criticizing an idea, I of course do exactly as he suggested.

So we laid it on its side and sliced it with our new circular saw.

DSC_0170.JPG

We started with the 2x4s in the front, then did the back, and finally sliced the base support.

DSC_0174DSC_0176

Then we shoved it together and had a cabinet door that was now much too big for the tiny opening.

DSC_0178

So we sliced that down too, to make a little tiny door, for tiny hands, or for tiny things.

DSC_0179

Good thing I painted it first right? So as you can see there were some gaps and things that needed to be shoved back together.

We screwed in some metal doohickies (that looks ridiculous typed, how does it not feel ridiculous to say when it looks so wacky?) In real life I guess they are called mending plates. We added 4 of those to secure the two cut ends together. Surprisingly it got the two sides very close together, unlike my abs after 2 babies, which haven’t seen or spoken to each other in some years.

We also added a piece of wood to the base to hold it together. Let me remind you we use this to store paint cans, so it didn’t need to be spectacular, just functional and not an eyesore.

So we left it like that for a number of weeks and only in the last week did I finally get around to staining the top and doing the final repainting of the cabinet. Part of the problem was I wanted to stain the top outside, so as not to stink up my house. Stain needs it to be 50 degrees. Minnesota felt the need to have a blizzard.In April. So I felt the need to wait for some decent weather, since Minnesota had already made me go back on my word about not shoveling in April. This time the line was drawn, no staining would happen until I could do it outside.

Remember this from two weeks ago? Too soon?

This is the wood top attached to the cabinet. I knew I wanted the wood top to have more of a sturdy presence, to look more like a butcher block, so we cheated the system and added some skinny 1/4 inch trim to fake it.DSC_0215

See how it looks a bit more solid now? DSC_0218

Major perk of not caring about the flooring, is it makes for very easy (sloppy) painting. Which, let’s be honest, is really the only kind of painting I do, so it’s nice when I’m not also ruining things.DSC_0221

From the top you can see the slight change from the solid wood piece to the trim, but I am really happy with it overall.

dsc_0226.jpg

Our cabinet is nice and proportional now to the wall. You really can’t see the split on the bottom at all. It could be worthwhile for me to caulk the seam once more on the top and paint over it again, but it could also be more work too…

We’ve got a couple more things to finish/show you in the laundry room before we put the project on a bit of a hiatus. we are going to make it functional again and save the flooring, lighting and ceiling for a few month down the road. With spring finally coming we are switching gears to some outside projects!

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s